Tap Into Water for workplaces is a Nelson Marlborough Health initiative based on the simple, yet powerful fact that water is the best drink available. It’s the best choice of drink and helps create a healthy workforce.
Nelson Marlborough Health is encouraging local organisations to promote water as the first choice of drink for staff and to adopt water friendly environments.
Why are we doing this?
Did you know that three in five kiwi adults today are overweight or obese? Obesity is linked to a range of health issues including type 2 diabetes. Tooth decay is a major health issue that takes causes pain and suffering and causes staff to take time off work for dental care.
Sugar is a leading contributor to these health issues and ‘junk drinks’ like soft drinks, cordials and fruit juice (which naturally contains high sugar) are a major source of sugar in the diet. While diet drinks may be free of calories, they are not free of consequences and contribute to tooth decay.
Tapping into water is about drinking health for positive health outcomes. Water is the best choice and helps create healthy staff.
Tap into water top 5 tips for work places:
- Always have a drink bottle on your desk
- If you need a pick me up, try drinking a glass of water first
- Remove soft drink vending machines
- For a change, make your own flavoured water
- Include water rich foods in your lunch like melon and cucumber.
Find out more
To find out more about how organisations can tap into water check out our free resources:
- Behind the hype: Sports Drinks
- Consumption of sugary drinks among children and their parents or caregivers
- Consumption of juice and fruit drinks among children and their parents or caregivers
Page last updated: 11/03/2019