Support can be provided for people who are under 65 years old with either:

  • an intellectual, physical or sensory disability that is likely to last longer than six months
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Children will receive support for their disability only. This means we do not provide support that parents and guardians of children without a disability would typically provide.

Services are contracted by the Ministry of Health.  An outline of each service is provided below but more details can be found here.

Available services and funding

Essential housework

This support ensures your home environment is not hazardous to your health.  Essential housework tasks include:

  • cleaning bathrooms (if not already completed as part of the personal care support)
  • changing bed linen
  • cleaning kitchen surfaces and floors
  • vacuuming the main living areas

Housework does not ordinarily extend to dusting, cleaning windows or any maintenance of the exterior. 

Eligibility for housework services:

  • a current Community Services Card is required
  • if you do not have a card, and housework support is your only need, you may be required to pay for this service
  • if you have someone living with you that may be able to help you are not eligible for this support

Personal care support

If you receive help to have a shower, your helper should also clean the shower afterwards. Please note:

  • your individual circumstances determine the frequency of this type of support
  • your preferred time to have a shower may not always be suitable due to the high demand for showering assistance early in the morning or last thing in the evening.

Respite care

Respite care is available for people who are cared for in their home by someone who lives with them.

If you are a caregiver and need a break, have to go into hospital or become unwell, we can organise respite care for the person you care for.

Carer support

Carer support is another way that we can give you a rest from caring for someone.

It is different from respite, where the person you care for stays elsewhere temporarily.

Instead, someone will come to your house while you are away. They can claim reimbursement but are not considered to be a 'paid carer'.

For more details on when you can claim carer support.

Contract board

Contract board is an arrangement where a person can 'board' with another person in their home but receive more oversight and support than a usual private boarding situation.  Contact Support Works for more information.

Supported living

Supported living services help people to learn essential life skills if they want to leave home, or be active in their community.

Residential care

Residential care is available for people who are unable to live independently. People usually live in suburban houses, just like any other house in the street, but with staff on hand to ensure the person is safe and supported.

If more appropriate to their needs, people may live in a larger residential facility.

Behaviour support services

Support is available for people, and families of people, whose behaviour is causing difficulties.

Specialists will work with the person and the people close to them to help manage challenging behaviour.  For more details visit the Ministry of Health website.

Individualised funding

This is funding provided that enables you to employ your chosen support and respite care providers. A ‘host' agency helps with any legal issues. Find more details on individualised funding.

Funded family care

If you providing personal care or household management for your adult child with disabilities it is now possible for you to be paid for that care in the same way that an agency would be paid if they were providing the support for more details. Further information is available on the Ministry of Health website.

For more details on any of the above services please contact Support Services.