About Neonatal Units
Neonatal Units (also known as Special Care Baby Units) at Nelson and Wairau Hospitals provide comprehensive care for unwell or premature babies from the Nelson region.
There are 10 neonatal cot spaces in Nelson Hospital and three in Wairau Hospital. The units are staffed by experienced neonatal nurses and specialist paediatricians.
- Care for unwell or premature babies born in Nelson Marlborough and greater than 30 weeks gestation
- Transfer to Wellington neonatal intensive care unit for any baby requiring specialist services and care not provided in Nelson Marlborough
- Care for babies returning from a larger centre (once stable), for ongoing care prior to discharge home
- Specialist paediatricians provide antenatal consultation and attend the birth for women with specific risk factors (for example twin pregnancies)
- Assessment of babies in the hospitals' postnatal wards
- Follow-up clinics after discharge, particularly for babies who are born prematurely or have other difficulties with growth or development
- Homecare nurse visiting after discharge, particularly for babies who are born prematurely or have other difficulties with growth or development.
Page last updated: 07/04/2016