COVID-19 case update 24 February 2022
There are 119 new cases of COVID-19 today. We have a total 571 active cases in our region:
- 488 in Nelson Tasman
- 72 in Marlborough
- 11 other.
Omicron response - Phase 3
From 11.59pm tonight, Thursday 24 February, we move into Phase 3 of the omicron response. This means:
- Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) will be the primary form of testing in the community and will soon be available at more locations.
- Cases will be identified via a positive PCR or RAT and will need to isolate for 10 days.
- Household contacts of cases will immediately self-isolate for 10 days at the same time the positive household case is confirmed. They need to get a RAT on day 3 and 10.
- The Close Contact Exemption Scheme remains available for critical workers that would otherwise be required to isolate due to being a household contact.
- Other Close Contacts are no longer required to self-isolate, but do need to monitor for symptoms for 10 days and get tested if they become symptomatic.
- From March, approved RATs will be available for public purchase through retail outlets.
When and where to get tested
We ask anyone with symptoms – no matter how mild – to please get tested, even if they are vaccinated. Read about symptoms to be alert to on the Ministry of Health website: About COVID-19 symptoms and spread | Ministry of Health NZ COVID-19
Community based assessment centres (CBACs) are open at the following locations:
- Trafalgar Centre carpark - Nelson: Monday to Sunday from 9am until 6pm
- Saxton Field parking area - near Oaklands Milk (Suffolk Road, Stoke): Monday to Sunday from 9am until 6pm
- Motueka Recreation Centre (Old Wharf Road, Motueka): Monday toSunday from 9am until 5pm
- Horton Park - old netball courts (off Redwood Road), Blenheim: Monday to Sunday from 9am until 4pm
All locations and hours available on the Healthpoint website including by appointment opportunities at medical centres (GP), please phone ahead first: COVID-19 Testing | Nelson Marlborough | HealthPoint
People living in Marlborough, Nelson, and Tasman are reminded to get vaccinated if they have not already. Everyone aged 5 years and over is eligible for free COVID-19 vaccination. Booster doses are also now available to anyone aged 18+ who had their second dose 3 months ago.
Our main vaccination centres are open for walk-ins, check their location and opening hours here: COVID-19 Vaccination Centres | Nelson Marlborough | HealthPoint