The National Travel Assistance Scheme assists with costs incurred when you travel for healthcare appointments outside of your region.

Eligible patients, their legal guardians and support people may be able to claim for the cost of private car use, public and specialised transport and accommodation.


Am I eligible for travel assistance?

Patients who have been referred to another publicly-funded specialist or disability support service, by their local publicly-funded specialist (not a general practitioner), may be eligible for the scheme.

Determine your eligibility by using the checklist on the Ministry of Health website.

Community Services Card holders may also be eligible for assistance between Nelson and Wairau Hospitals.

How do I make a claim?

The Ministry of Health has some useful information about claiming travel assistance.

For more information or to make a  travel cost claim contact:

Patient Travel Co-ordinator

Phone: (03) 546 1800

Email: [email protected]