International ships arriving at ports in Nelson or Marlborough must have a current pratique licence and Ship Sanitation Certificate.
Granting of Pratique
- these confirm that a ship is free from contagious disease
- they are obtained by following the Port Health Authority Pratique Procedure
- without pratique, a ship is liable to quarantine controls set out in the Health Act 1956.
Ship Sanitation Certificates
- these must be renewed every six months
- the certification process is managed by a region's public health service
- the process includes an audit of the ship's cleaning and waste management procedures and medical facilities, and a physical inspection of the ship.
Port Health Authority – Public Health Service
Phone: Nelson (03) 546 1537
Marlborough (03) 520 9914
(03) 546 1800 (Nelson)
(03) 520 9999 (Marlborough)
Page last updated: 17/10/2017