Nelson Marlborough Health News and Notices

Services as usual


Nelson Marlborough Health (NMH) surgical and outpatient services will continue as planned this week after the strike planned for Thursday 5 July by nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants who are covered by the New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO) collective employment agreement was called off.

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation and the country’s District Health Boards last week agreed a revised offer that will be taken to NZNO nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants this week.

Although preparation to close most hospital elective services on 5 and 12 July due to the nationwide strike were well underway Pamela Kiesanowski, Director of Nursing and Midwifery, says it will be business as usual for patients and staff this week.
“Although we had contacted some patients to advise them their non-urgent elective surgeries and outpatient appointments may be affected this week, we are in the process of reinstating these where possible,” she says.

Mrs Kiesanowski says as the results of the NZNO ballot will not be known until 10 July contingency planning will continue for potential strike action on Thursday 12 July from 7am (ending 7am 13 July).
“Once again affected patients will be contacted directly, and people should come to their scheduled appointment unless they have been contacted to say their appointment is being postponed.

Patients or other members of the public can also call 0800 733 372 to check the status of their appointment.

Subscribe via RSS