Needs Assessment Service (Support Works)
Our Needs Assessment Service staff assess the needs of people who struggle with daily activities because of a health condition or disability.
We help people identify their individual challenges, goals, and steps needed to achieve these goals.
We then refer our clients to services such as support groups or physiotherapy, and arrange any required in-home assistance.
How we assess needs
We ask lots of questions to find out how our clients are coping physically and emotionally, and to assess how active they are outside of their home.
Assessments can take between 1-2 hours and staff may enter responses directly into a computer.
Services we refer clients to
Support Works staff refer clients to:
- general practitioners (doctors)
- occupational therapists
- social workers
- geriatricians, paediatricians, psychiatrists or other medical specialists
- non-government organisations – eg, brain injury associations, Alzheimers New Zealand and Age Concern
- home-based support providers – for support with personal care or essential housework
- respite care providers
- Supported Independent Living (for young disabled people)
- Behaviour Support Services (for young disabled people)
- meals on wheels
Business hours and contact details
The Support Works office is open 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
We offer a 24-hour crisis response service: Phone 0800 244 300
Page last updated: 28/08/2018